Sweet, sweet Saturdays. I would include the word Fall here, but everyone knows that I can't use that word in the literal sense living in Central Florida. And while you lucky people north of Tallahassee get to also enjoy leaves turning and crisp air, we at least get to watch college football. I know, I'm a bit ahead of myself, I'm sure it was still sweltering-late-August-heat in Auburn; that is what the commentators told us. I do remember the first game one-sided sunburn complete with a white outline of where my face tattoo had been.
Ah. Memories of a student. I went to my first Auburn game when I was a junior in high school; my second cousins took me and taught me the fight song. I had grown up an Auburn fan - my mom can write a blog post about how she alleges my father brainwashed us as children to cheer for Auburn instead of the other school located within state boarders - but didn't visit the campus until I was in high school. Auburn seemed out of my reach. I talked about this with my youngest sister a couple of weeks ago and she agreed - she thought of Auburn as an Ivy League school when we were children. I thought this was a nice sentiment, and explains how blessed we all feel to have gone and graduated from a university....but I realize maybe other children actually knew what Ivy League schools were?
Maybe that's why Saturday morning R and I put Eye of the Tiger on repeat and videoed, took photos, and brought out shakers while we made Squirms play in an Auburn cheer uniform (courtesy of Auntie L) that is actually a bit too big for her. Obsessed? Bored? We really didn't have much we could do - we had to be at home while the air conditioning unit was being replaced - and if you want to hear that story, well, that's another post that may or may not ever be written.
![]() |
| She likes to comb her hair. |
| The comb also doubles as a teether. Why can't I call teethers chew toys? |
| In Your Face DaDa! |
| Mom, these ESPN game day guys are silly. |
Where is this leading? I'll tell you. Although it's quite painful for me. I was watching the game Saturday night. Curious - curious about our defense, our quarterback, our offense, our new head coach. Then I heard the commentators talking about Auburn's new Offensive Coordinator. He has a cool name. And they said he was sharp. And. Then. They said he is 29.
Start emotional break down here.
29 is younger than me. The OC is younger than me.
Spiral continues.
He is an OC for a SEC football team. He is younger than me.
And so on. I had only just accepted that the players were now younger than me. For 80% of my life Auburn football players had been older than me, or my peers. It took me six years to be okay with them being younger than me. AND NOW THE OC?
I just wasn't ready for this. Maybe in another six years.

No comments:
Post a Comment