Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Book Review

I have a confession:
I watched all six seasons of Gossip Girl over the past several weeks.
It started out innocently enough - I picked a random, light-hearted show to watch on Netflix while I folded laundry. After a couple of episodes, mesmerized by Blair, I had to know if Chuck and Blair would end up together. Six seasons later, the answer (yes!) was revealed on Monday night.

Now. To make myself feel better I decided to do a short book review of novels and some children's books I've read over the past year (these are not listed in order read).

Maybe Read The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowlings: Very well written. If you're looking for something new and well written, I would suggest this. It's not a standard romance, mystery, comedy. I liked it, but it made me sad - it's an honest picture of people only focused on their lives, community, human legacy, and petty grievances. It made me happy to believe in God.

Read Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy by John le Carre: LOVE. This is an excellent spy novel and wins the award (I just decided to give awards in this book review) for best characters. Best characters ever. le Carre is great at making each character unique. Plus, you won't figure this puzzle out unless you've already seen the movie.

Read Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss: The most difficult book I've ever read. Dr. Seuss makes Charles Dickens books seem like See Jane Run. Please try reading this book out loud.

Do Not Read Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith: Horrible. Go to Wal Mart, pick up the book, read the back of the book and let your imagination take it from there. Your imagination will be better than the book. It had potential.

Maybe Read Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy: I am biased here - I like anything by Tom Clancy. I love his plots and how he weaves so many characters and stories into one giant story. Plus, his main characters are always men you respect. If you don't love intricate spy/military plots with lots of characters and details, Clancy may not be your man.

Read The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King by J.R. Tolkien: I have lumped these books, or the book and the other volumes - however it should be stated - together. They are all wonderful. I want to be like Gandalf. I would suggest these as mandatory reading for high schoolers. And adults.

Read The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough: While you won't be enticed to rush chapter by chapter to know what's going to happen next, this book is fascinating. It made me want to visit Paris, teach Squirms and myself French, and question our society's pace of living. It also gave me a profound appreciation for sculpture - sculpting is very difficult! Requiring math, chemistry, months and months of precise work, models, and artistic talent. I will always take time to look at giant statues of men on horses now.

No comments:

Post a Comment