Thursday, November 13, 2014

Ten Things

1. I know we're back home in central Florida because yesterday only 1 out of 6 people waved back to the Great and I while we jogged around the neighborhood. Our normal percentage is 33%. I started counting how many people wave, or don't wave, because I thought maybe I was overestimating my disappointment in the lack of what I like to call Southern Culture, or friendliness. But, it is not my homesick imagination. Most people choose not to wave to a smiling, waving, out of breath woman pushing a double stroller. At least no one has hit us.

2. H moved into a new apartment, with a roommate, several weeks ago. And she still doesn't know her address. This concerns me.

3. The Great has been enjoying the toddler-size playhouse in our back yard. He prefers to slide face first, on his belly; and today he learned that the ladder is not a slide that you should go down face first. He took his lesson well, with surprise but no tears.

4. Squirm's growing vocabulary is enlightening us more and more to her growing personality. She's just delightful. After our gulf coast visit she has been talking about cons (pecans), caroline's wedding, acorns, jets, and boo boo from running with Gran. Preschool highlights right now include toy cows and horses, apples that crunch, and growing pumpkins.

5. I finished Stephen E. Ambrose's D-Day. I really don't know what to write about it. Epic. I read it slowly, I could not read it quickly. I almost always needed kleenexes. The quotes from oral histories - from Eisenhower interviews to lieutenants to privates - made me proud, heartbroken, awe struck, and reflective. Ambrose is analytical in his review of the preparation and execution, and he brings the reader to understand the depth of this one day with the stories of the men who were there. He also accomplishes a feat of organization in how he takes the reader through the day. I suppose it's not that I don't know what to write about this book - but that I don't feel a short review from me would do it justice. Read it.

6. R and I really like Panera's new online order and restaurant pick up system. (This feels like an odd thing to say after no. 5. That book is intense.)

7. Squirms saw her first, real, rainbow during our Gulf Coast trip. She was ecstatic.

8. Instead of writing this blog post, I really should be paying bills. Or ironing.

9. R is a very patient husband.

10. The Great is not a very patient baby boy. And he is awake. He probably needs some kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment